About Us


St. James’ Episcopal Church is a Christian community in northern Baltimore County. Our diverse members seek to serve Christ in all people. We invite you to join us in worship, celebration, community outreach, fellowship and fun.

Celebration of Our Minister

The Rt. Rev. Chilton Knudsen, assistant bishop of Maryland, and special guests welcomed the Rev. William Alford and celebrated his new ministry as St. James’ rector on Tuesday, B-Alford_new-ministry (21)May 10. The Rev. Canon Katherine Harrigan, rector of St. Paul’s Church, Harrisburg, preached, three diocesan clergy participated, the Rev. Joanna White, the Rev, Lauren Welch, and the Rev. Beverly Braine; Bishop Knudsen celebrated the Eucharist. This joyous occasion was well worth celebrating as we begin a new era at St. James’ Church. Reception to follow. Please view photos of Fr. Bill’s Installation here. Read the sermon here.

Thinking of Joining

St. James’ Church has brochures for newcomers and inquirers. If you are new to St. James’ Church download our Welcome Brochure.

Thinking of Joining the Episcopal ChurchClick here to learn more about St. James’ Church. Or download our membership brochure to learn more about becoming a member of our church.

You can also find us on Facebook. Like us on Facebook and receive church news, share information with friends and view photos from our events. Search St. James’ Episcopal Church, Parkton, or follow this link: https://www.facebook.com/StJamesParktonMaryland.

Read our Parish Profile (5.96 MB PDF file).

See our monthly newsletter, The Chapel Bell, for monthly financial assessments.

Our History


St. James’ was established in 1903 by a few local residents who met in the loft of a dry goods store in Parkton. Services were held in a variety of places until 1912, when the present church was built. With the exception of some minor expansion in 1955, this charming country church looks much the same as it did when it was dedicated in 1913. In fact, the church bell used today is from a train on the North Central Railroad for which many of the original members worked. Our Parish Hall offers space for meetings and fellowship, and the Education Wing provides learning space for our education programs, as well as expanded meeting space.

Who was St. James?

On Sunday, October 26, 2008, St. James’ Church’s identity crisis ended. Spearheaded by the Rev. Elizabeth Orens, St. James’ rector, and after much research, it was learned that we were named for Saint James of Jerusalem. To honor our patronal Saint, an icon was commissioned and written by the Rev. Br. Tobias Haller. On the Sunday after the feast day of Saint James (Oct. 23) the icon was installed in the sanctuary. Flanked by the cross, torches and with the thurible wafting incense, Elizabeth and Br. Tobias blessed the icon. Who was Saint James of Jerusalem? Br. Tobias recreated our patron saint not only in egg tempera and gold leaf, but also in words during his sermon. Br. Tobias also wrote about the creation of the icon on his blog, In a Godward Direction. Read the Rev. Dr. Julia Gatta’s sermon from Oct. 24, 2010, here.